- Enforcement of the Sage Tobacco Free Policy shall be the responsibility of the entire Sage community. Studnets, faculty, staff and administrators are expected to fairly, politely and firmly engage in peer enforcement, and when required, report violations of the policy to supervisors. Enforcement of the policy shall be in a manner of “progressive discipline.”
- For the purpose of this policy, “supervisor” shall mean: (i) appropriate Dean of Students for students; (ii) immediate supervisor for staff and administrators; (iii) department chair or academic Dean for faculty members.
- Any student or employee of Russell Sage College who observes or otherwise suspects that another person is using tobacco products on any property or in any vehicle owned or leased by Sage shall promptly, firmly and politely advise that person of the tobacco free policy. If the person is a member of the Sage community and refuses to comply, the offending person’s supervisor should be immediately notified.
- If the offending person is not a member of the Sage community and refuses to comply, Public Safety should be requested to escort the person off campus.
- Any student or employee of Sage who observes or otherwise suspects that another person is using tobacco products on any property or in any vehicle owned or leased by Sage and who has been advised of the policy for a previous violation, shall immediately notify the supervisor of the offending party.
- Upon notification of a supervisor, the supervisor shall arrange a meeting with the offending person. During the meeting, the supervisor shall: (i) reiterate the Sage Tobacco-Free policy; (ii) discuss the reasons for the policy; (iii) discuss the benefits of the policy; (iv) discuss strategies for assisting the employee in complying with the policy; (v) discuss the resources available for smoking cessation; (vi) reprimand the offender for violation of the policy.
- Upon notification of a supervisor fo a subsequent violation of the policy by the same offender, the supervisor shall prepare a written reprimand (3 copies) for the offender that contains items 1, 4 and 5 as above, and further advises the offender that future violations of the policy will result in serious disciplinary action, up to and including termination from employment or expulsion from studies at Sage. Any subsequent disciplinary action would be determined according to the appropriate student/employee/faculty handbook or union contract. The supervisor shall have the offender sign and return one copy of the reprimand, retain one copy for self, and forward the third copy to Human Resources.
- Subsequent violations of the policy by the same person shall result in a level of discipline that: (i) convinces the offending party to comply with the Tobacco Free policy; (ii) demonstrates to the Sage community the importance of compliance with the Tobacco Free policy.
*Anyone organizing an event that brings outsiders to campus is responsible for communicating this policy to its attendees. Visitors to campus in violation of the policy will be informed of the policy and if they refuse to comply will be removed from campus.*
As we work towards our goal of keeping our campuses free of tobacco litter, please be respectful of the surrounding communities and private properties located in proximity of our campuses.